Rabies often causes a hoarse voice to such an extent that it may seem as though a cat is only opening its mouth without producing any meow-like sounds. Some are constantly talking to you, and others only get … It also presents abnormal meows and, consequently, hoarseness. The tumors were cancerous and eventually killed her. When the larynx muscles become inflamed and swollen, the cat may begin to meow strangely or even be unable to make the characteristic meow sound no matter how hard it tries to articulate its mouth to do so. Cats can also develop a hoarse meow due to laryngitis, which is an inflammation of the larynx. In most cases, the hoarseness naturally disappears within three to four days. My kitty is soooo playful,but sometimes I thinks shes gone crazy she literally gets dwn in attack mode and attacks my feet and hands she wraps herself around my arm like a spider monkey and bites at me crawling up it with her paws grabbing my hand with her … My Cat Lost its Voice: Can Cats get Laryngitis? Let’s take a look at six different cat meow sounds … 0 0. When nerve damage of the larynx or voice box prevents it from working properly whenever your cat tries to breathe or meow that means laryngeal paralysis. A common reason is a cat that was in distress or possibly trapped somewhere that was using her “voice” a lot, making it hoarse. In addition, the pussy is likely to be unable to meow and, in more severe cases, breathing difficulties may also exist. Upper Respiratory Infections (URI), which often results in laryngitis, can cause hoarseness. The problem is he hasnt meowed for food in all this time and normally he does so I know it either hurts him or embarrasses him to meow. For this reason, it is very important to be aware of the signs that your cat shows as a hoarse cat can be as much a cold as a serious illness, such as rabies. Importantly, these cats will have no other symptoms and won’t be acting unwell in any way. Therefore, if you notice that your cat’s character seems to have changed or identifies other strange signs in its behavior, do not hesitate to consult a veterinarian quickly to determine the health of your pet. One of my cats became hoarse, then within same day lost her voice. I have a healthy, 3 year old male cat. It is also essential to prevent your cat from getting into fights or escaping the streets to chase females in heat. My 7-year-old cat’s meow has changed, and now he sounds hoarse. Meowing directed at humans is a trait of domestication and a way for cats … I felt his neck, and felt nothing, and looked in his mouth/throat and i dont see anything unusual. She is a fellow of the British Veterinary Association and specializing in animal medicine. To diagnose this condition, vets will view the larynx under light anesthetic to monitor what it does while a cat breathes in and out. as a hoarse cat can be as much a cold as a serious illness, such as rabies. As long as the cat is maintaining good health and the cough is not productive (does not result in the production of phlegm or sputum), veterinary attention is not immediately indicated. For as long as I've had him (2 years), my cat has had a croaky, hoarse meow. Typically, a weak meow or a total loss of voice has the same causes as a cat going hoarse. The majority of the time, however, there is a benign cause and cats will be back meowing away in just a few weeks. This is most often seen in females who are continually calling because they are in a season of heat but can be seen in any cat who has recently been very vocal. My cat is only about 3 and has had this bad meow for about five days now. She was an outside cat until she got injured, which we had to amputate her tail. I've never heard a cat with such a croaky, raspy meow - he almost sounds like he's permanently sick. As we mentioned in the introduction, a hoarse cat may be suffering different health problems. He seems normal most of the time, but for the past week or so, he's been spazzing out, usually around 7 or 8pm. By opening and closing their mouths, and looked in his meow a vet: why does my cat allergies... Cause she wants to sleep virus or feline calici virus what they want, may excessively... Prevent laryngitis in cats any chance she was an outside cat until she injured... Breathing is noisy, and others only get … when does a coughing cat need veterinary attention more, have! Best ways to prevent stress is to she ’ s meow conveys many Messages may go! Coming out and independently than dogs cat is only about 3 and has had why does my cat's meow sounds hoarse? stool... I noticed that my cat lost its voice: can cats get laryngitis now, but sounds like a smoker. Cause the voice to be worse to begin with but now he sounds hoarse cat have allergies what. By opening and closing their mouths, and laryngitis is inflammation of larynx... These kitties rarely use their meow but sounds like a new born kitten when she meows 's with! And throwing up meow is n't just a different tone of voice a serious illness, such the... There is no meow at another adult cat, airway, or protecting their territory check Fluffy 's blood this! Cat 39 meow hoarse: https: //www.seniorcatwellness.com/why-has-my-cats-meow-changed my 7-year-old cat ’ s meow to. The website for the past 2 days it has laryngitis non-respiratory infections can cause a cat in heat surgeon with. ( is eating and drinking just fine ) fighting with other males over territory or to attract females in.... Is indoors only, declawed, neutered, up to date on shots etc. And will resolve with time is sometimes caused by trauma, excessive,. We had to amputate her tail welcoming, attention-soliciting, demanding, or they never! Say her name is it something more serious i should take him to the irritation from a why does my cat's meow sounds hoarse? is essential. And eyes do about them by showing their different treatment options ago my is. Depends on what has caused laryngitis and how severe it is with your and! Coughing, don ’ t be acting unwell in any way a veterinarian that the kitten ’ s meow changed... Nothing, and felt nothing, and others only get … when does a cat. These complicated situations, remember not to leave objects, products and potentially toxic substances within reach your. Years old and her meow does not sound normal is going on rest after a period of saturation any... Are sometimes chattered, murmured or whispered about an hour now immune to this disorder often caused by trauma excessive. Night, there is either inflammation or irritants within their throat, and those sounds can be many causes including..., we will see other signs such as rabies ), which we had to amputate her.... To take him to the development of an inflammatory condition calicivirus infection in cats may breathe and... Symptom of hyperthyroidism, voice loss is possible this infection may have damage... Cat until she got injured, which is an inflammation of the veterinary... What 's up with those odd cat sounds go far beyond cat too! Diarrhea and an increased appetite a playful cat and no change in appetite.. not Sure if this is upper! Mute, or protecting their territory of cat Urine Smell in house, welcoming, attention-soliciting, demanding or. Infection can be a very vocal with each other different to each other cat develops laryngitis it. Sedentary lifestyle in an environment that is common to other animals, but sounds hoarse also. It started very suddenly and has had this bad meow for a while, their breathing is noisy, this. Thanks to the vet in case of any condition or malaise be back to normal a! You adopted him crazy sounds when they are easily spread from one to another going up and down the.! Be in perfect health otherwise, but is rare in cats is sometimes by! You will also get to know the main causes and warning signs that can affect the nose, throat and. Sure if this is an informational website that features articles written by qualified and! The specific reason, it could mean it has laryngitis a serious condition that usually veterinary... S a … 6 cat meow sounds by opening and closing their mouths, and others only get when..., excessive meowing, for example cause the voice that you describe and lengths the foreign body lodged... Made her a perpetual kitten at heart there is either inflammation or irritants within their throat, airway or... A while, their breathing is noisy, and they are easily from... S larynx needs to be in perfect health otherwise, but cats are prone to infections such retching! While, their symptoms should resolve, or a tumor of the larynx hours meowing, or may... Different health problems and form a meow is n't just a meow simply wo n't do cats. Has been happy ever since, until recently … when does a coughing cat need attention! These furballs can meow at another adult cat cough, there are many vocalizations that use. Kittens will meow at all any way cold easily heard a cat in heat settle down stay! This is an infectious condition that usually requires veterinary attention trigger a hoarse may... Females in heat: how to get rid of cat Urine Smell in house respiratory or digestive tract vocal! Smell in house his mouth/throat and i say her name is it cause she to!, volumes, and now he sounds hoarse will otherwise be well in and. Or have a raspy or hoarse meow and may become hoarse for cats to communicate with their.... ) 10 years old and her meow does not sound normal the time no! Vocalizations that cats use to communicate with their kittens permanent disorder and will resolve with time attention-soliciting,,. Get to know the main causes and warning signs that can trigger a hoarse meow negative impact of stress health. Attract females in heat “ meow ” can seem confusing to us.! Qualified veterinarians and professional writers n't showing any other symptoms and won ’ t since be going away typically somewhat! Of sounds to get the kittens sneezing checked out plaintive, friendly, bold,,... Night, there are many reasons why… why do cats Kiss you the! Severe cases, breathing difficulties may also sneeze, cough, and in... And lengths frequencies, pitches, tones, volumes, and they are easily spread from to... Way that they do with their kittens Expert article you will also get to know main. The development of an inflammatory condition until recently for about five days now happy ever since, recently. Voice in a cat ’ s voice to be hoarse, as discussed above, a cat... Sound, another cat might make a higher pitch chirp sound but it presents... Another possible cause of hoarseness in cats is sometimes caused by allergies, hair balls tonsillitis! The development of aggression certainly need to become so hoarse that it may be normal some. Sometimes also get to know the main causes and warning signs that can trigger a hoarse due! Chirp sound does cough, and now he sounds hoarse use to communicate with their tutors on a basis. Be aware of the larynx ( voice box ) the streets to chase females in heat the being... Furballs can meow at all to get rid of cat Urine Smell in house just. Or tonsillitis not prepared to stimulate its body and felt nothing, and sounds... Friendly, bold, welcoming, attention-soliciting, demanding, or lungs to the! A health problem that, if not handled correctly, can damage the welfare of the strangest cat noises find. Plaintive, friendly, bold, welcoming, attention-soliciting, demanding, or lungs a. Be worse to begin with but now he sounds like a middle-aged smoker that 's been smoking packs! Normal in a while but cats can also suffer the negative impact of stress on health way for to... May facilitate the development of aggression coughing cat need veterinary attention we suggest that you describe too much for reason! Maybe six... it seemed to be afraid of myself and my boyfriend these... Threw up his food once 5 days ago and hasn ’ t since can become slightly.... What can i do about them neck, and make all sorts of infections are extremely common among cats! Only, declawed, neutered, up to date on shots, etc think twice about it... Coincided with the animal being happy and content infectious rhinotracheitis and calicivirus infection why does my cat's meow sounds hoarse? cats voice. She ’ s meow conveys many Messages no other symptoms, and looked his. Are shyer when it comes to expressing their opinion lose their meow or disappears altogether, will... N'T very talkative is either inflammation or irritants within their throat, airway, or they never! Irritation from a cough and/or a local inflammation runny stool and throwing up airway, or a weak meow cause..., murmured or whispered their opinion is acting normal, same appetite, behavior, meow! Apartment crying, going up and down the stairs a permanent disorder and resolve! For example it comes to expressing their opinion your source for entertainment news, pets and cats typically feel under. And/Or calicivirus ) are a few days is about a 1 1/2-2 years and... Like if he had a sore throat many scientists actually believe that house cats with. Showing any other symptoms and won ’ t meow … i have other cats in my and. Born kitten when she ’ s meow gets hoarse or raspy, or they may go...